Food security is defined by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations as "a condition in which all people, at all times, have physical and economic access to sufficient, safe, and nutritious food to meet their dietary needs and food preferences for an active and healthy life."
It is our vision that every person in the City of Kawartha Lakes and the County of Haliburton has access to sufficient and healthy food.
1. Advocate to the federal and provincial governments to develop policies and programs that take a comprehensive approach to address poverty and food security including income security, employment, affordable housing, and transportation.
2. Incorporate policies related to food systems, healthy eating, community design and the built environment into municipal official plans.
3. Support food security initiatives including community gardens and community/collective kitchens and by waiving or assisting with the rental fees and insurance costs of municipally owned lands and facilities that may be used for food security initiatives by non-profit organizations.
4. Support innovative community food security initiatives and programs.
5. Support the Kawartha Lakes Food Coalition in the implementation of the KL Food Charter and endorse and support the implementation of the Kawartha Lakes Food Action Plan.
6. Develop a food charter and food action plan for the County of Haliburton.